Behavioral Health Services
The STAR Health Center offers comprehensive and confidential treatment services for a variety of issues that may be related to mental health problems, relationship problems, addiction or a combination of factors. Our team of highly credentialed professionals work with each client to develop a personalized treatment plan that goes beyond addressing a diagnosis or symptoms and aims to improve quality of life. These professionals, which include a psychiatrist, a psychiatric nurse practitioner, social workers, mental health counselors, and addiction counselors, will help you address issues such as the following:
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Family and Relationship Conflicts
- Low Self-Esteem and Social Isolation
- Sleep Problems
- Anger Management
- Gender and Sexuality Issues
- Alcohol Abuse
- Substance Abuse (i.e. marijuana, cocaine, heroin, methamphetamines, club drugs)
Our team is here to provide you with support around any challenges you may be facing. We offer solution focused supportive counseling that is all about exploring ways to increase your coping and finding ways for you to set and achieve your goals. Active, solution focused support counseling will aid you in becoming clear about what you want and what is needed for you to achieve what will make you feel better or what may provide a solution to the challenges that you may be facing.
Psychiatric Evaluation & Treatment
A psychiatrist or psychiatric nurse practitioner will work with you and your counselor to develop a plan for your ongoing mental health or addition issues. Providers are available five days a week for consultation and ongoing management of medications related to depression, anxiety and other mental health problems.
Our support groups provide an opportunity for you to work with your peers to help find solutions to specific issues for concern. Current support groups include:
- Anger Management: Work with your peers on ways to better cope with anger and find solutions that bring relief or resolve the problem.
- Relapse Prevention: Work with your peers to identify your triggers that may lead you to increased alcohol or substance use and explore ways to reduce or to stop your use.
- Health Support: Work with your peers to discuss health issues and topics of most concern to you as you explore best health outcomes and increasing your quality of life.
Specialized Women’s Services
The STAR Health Center has a specialized program just for women. It offers specialized counseling for women from experienced professionals who will help you develop your own plan and strategies that will help you deal with depression, anxiety, and addiction, as well as issues such as trauma and domestic abuse. This program offers multiple services including:
- Individual Counseling: The primary goal of individual counseling is to work with you to identify problems and behaviors that affect you, and to help you develop a specific plan for change to improve your overall quality of life. Our counselors will use a directive, non-judgmental approach over 6 sessions.
- Group Counseling: After the completion of the individual counseling sessions, you may want to continue with treatment, particularly if you have been dealing with substance abuse or trauma. You may participate in a 4 session support group facilitated by a licensed counselor and co-facilitated by a trained and supervised peer, who has successfully coped with the challenges of substance use and trauma.
- Case Management and Referrals: Our case manager will work with you to ensure that you have insurance, public assistance, or referrals to other agencies for services such as housing, legal services, AA, and NA.
- Acupuncture Groups: A certified acupuncture detoxification specialist provides auricular (on the ear) acupuncture in a group format to help you reduce drug cravings, withdrawal symptoms and relieve anxiety.
- Peer Support: A female peer educator who has overcome many of the same challenges they you are currently facing is available for additional support in person and by phone.
Harm Reduction Services
The STAR Health Center’s Harm Reduction Program addresses the specific needs of HIV+ persons who struggle with recent and/or a history of addiction, allowing clients to receive support and education, structured around risk reduction. The program serves all eligible individuals but targets Black/African-American/Afro-Caribbean and Latino men and women; LGBT and gender non-conforming clients; young MSM of color; and clients over 50 years old.
Referrals for Ongoing Counseling
After consulting with one of our counselors, you may decide that you would benefit from counseling on a more long term basis. We work with excellent agencies in Brooklyn that can provide you with a mental health or substance abuse professional that will meet your specific needs.
For an appointment, call 718.270.3745 or 718.270.2396.